I want to share with you my 12 Steps For Daily Living. These 12 steps have recently reminded me about what’s most important. I know that if I don’t take care of myself first, then I’m likely to get sick and not be able to help others. I’m actually just now feeling normal after being sick for over a week. I don’t want another week like that. That’s why I’ve reengaged myself with these 12 steps and I want to share them with you too!
The 12 Steps are listed below.
- Be honest with yourself – This means being honest about what you’re thinking and feeling. All thoughts and feelings are valid and you deserve to tell yourself the truth. This also means giving yourself permission to take care of yourself and give yourself what you need.
- Fuel your body with SOUL food – SOUL stands for Seasonal, Organic, Unprocessed, and Local. When I was sick, I was quick to remember that my body needed nutrients to get better. Prior to that I was neglecting to give my body what I knew it needed. Since recovering, I’m more aware of what I’m putting into my body. I’m now eating to stay healthy, not just to get better.
- Meditate and/or pray – Give yourself at least 10-15 minutes a day of quiet time to meditate and/or pray. A short break in the middle of the day can do wonders for your motivation and efficiency. Don’t believe me? Try it for 7 days and prove me wrong!
- Conduct a self-evaluation, become an observer – It’s so easy to get caught up in the go, go, go mentality while forgetting to evaluate where you’re going and why. At the end of each day, look back at what you accomplished. Give yourself credit and evaluate to make sure you’re still headed the direction you want to be going.
- Always be grateful – This is a reminder to be grateful for what you have. Be grateful for the wonderful people in your life and the opportunities in your life.
- Recognize the abundance in life – We live in an abundant world. Recognizing the abundance around you will only bring more abundance into your life.
- Give something each day – I got this from Deepak Chopra. He describes giving as one of the seven spiritual laws of success. Give something, whether it’s your time, money, flowers, donations, etc.. Give with an open heart.
- Recognize your successes each day – It’s common to not give yourself credit. Each night spend 2-5 minutes writing down your successes for the day. You are amazing.. it’s time to always give yourself credit for it.
- Express your thoughts and feelings – When expressing your thoughts and feelings, you can do this to a person, to a wall or to your journal. The key is to get them out using some form of communication. Nobody has to ever read what you write, just make sure you are expressing your thoughts and feelings in a way that is comfortable for you.
- Spend time being physically active – Our bodies were designed to move. They need exercise and movement everyday. Pick a few activities that fill you up and make sure to rotate them into your schedule throughout each week.
- Manage stress productively – There are countless stress management techniques. If you don’t already have a way to manage your stress, I recommend Googling ideas and trying out a few to see what works best for you. Then create a plan for when you’re feeling overwhelmed and stressed. The key is to manage it productively. Productively means in a way that helps you be a better you.
- Rest when your body needs rest – Our bodies need rest. Our brains function their best with regular sleep. Our bodies function their best with regular sleep. Stress levels can be reduced with a regular sleeping pattern.
Ultimately, I want you to treat yourself with the love and kindness you use when taking care of an infant. You are tough but your body, mind and spirit need rest, nutrients, love and care.
I recommend choosing one or two of the steps and start implementing them each day. After a week or two, pick two more to implement, and so on. The goal is to make all 12 steps a daily habit so that you’re actively fueling your mind, body and soul!
Love and Happiness,